John Knox Christian Secondary School
The new John Knox Christian Secondary School (JKCS) is designed to a simple, clean, contemporary design aesthetic. The building is massed as a simple cubic form from which sections have been carved out to form building entrance, courtyards and roof-top recreation spaces and has the capacity for 450 students. The design integrates 21st century learning concepts and includes a gym, music room, outdoor classrooms, food lab, maker space, and a rooftop activity centre. The building design also references to the industrial history of the area and a subtle acknowledgment of the historical Gas Works Building across the street. Objectives of the school that KMBR incorporated into the final design include:
- The school is designed to attract families to the neighborhood to increase density and contribute to a liveable neighborhood.
- The school is designed to successfully incorporate with its surroundings. It is designed around a courtyard on a site that is rich in trees.
- The challenge of the significantly sloped site was turned into an opportunity to provide three tiers of outdoor classrooms animating the space between the sidewalk and the building with a combination of soft- and hard-scapes and outdoor seating available to the school and the public.
- Client: John Knox Christian School
- Location: New Westminster, BC
- Size: 5,279 sq.m.
- Project Type: Master Planning and New Build
- Project Delivery: Construction Management