Southern Okanagan Secondary School
This complex phased project began as a two-phase feasibility study which consisted of partial demolition, a new addition (gymnasium related space, science superlab and classrooms, multi-purpose student commons space), retention of an existing gym, renovations of the existing Tech Ed Building, and renovations to the 1948 Art Deco wood frame main building and 600 seat community theatre. Tragically, in September 2011 the 1948 portion burnt entirely to the ground, leaving only the new addition, existing gym and Tech Ed Building. The revised project scope includes a 395 seat community theatre, and additional Neighbourhoods of Learning components including a daycare, and community service offices. The design incorporates 21st century learning principles such as flexible spaces, variable-sized teaching rooms, and ample social spaces. Designed in association with CEI Architecture.
- 2015 Wood WORKS! BC Interior Beauty Design Award
- 2014 SICA Commercial Building “Judges Choice-Award of Excellence” for
- 2012 Fortis BC PowerSense Conservation Excellence Award
Photographer: Ed White Photographic
- Owner/Client: School District No. 53
- Location: Oliver, BC
- Size: New: 2,743 sq.m. Renovation: 5,269 sq.m.
- Project Type: New Build, Addition, Renovation, Seismic Upgrade
- Project Delivery: Design-Bid-Build