Kwantlen Polytechnic University – Spruce Building
After weighing the benefits and challenges of renovation versus replacement, Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU) decided that redeveloping their existing Spruce Building would have the least disruption with the most significant impact. The space is home to a range of user groups, and as such required thoughtful planning to ensure the range of activities performed in the space is strongly supported. From science laboratories and fine arts studios to ancillary facilities management, offices,
and circulation spaces, our partnership with KPU resulted in an efficient and amazing space.
The existing conditions and functionality of the Spruce Building at project commencement were not optimal: operations and maintenance costs were high, greenhouse gas emissions were in excess, and educational outcomes were suffering. Through our design, KMBR together with the design-build team:
- Provided users with safe, inclusive, and creative spaces.
- Used design to create stronger connections within the larger KPU community through thoughtful integration of shared program spaces.
- Reduced disruption to campus stakeholders through phased construction.
This project is targeting LEED Gold certification.
- Client: Kwantlen Polytechnic University
- Location: Surrey, BC
- Size: 3,090 sq.m.
- Project Type: Renovation
- Project Delivery: Design-Build